Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Journey Continues

Some of you know my story well, but others may not.  I’ll make the low-down quick and painless!  I started out my writing career in 2008.  I’ve always been a writer, keeping journals, blogging, etc. However, after the death of my mother in 1998, I had a hard time putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).  Once I finally got my feet wet, I posted my stories on a website called Text Novel.

Text Novel was the first place that I was actually able to meet and mingle with other aspiring authors.  I met some of the most talented people there and started to learn a good bit about the business.   After a couple of years of rewriting my stories, I submitted one to Astraea Press and got a contract.  Astraea Press caters to “clean” fiction, meaning no cussing or premarital sex.  I’ve had several books published through them and have had nothing but a fantastic experience.

Not all of my books fall into the category of “clean” fiction.  I’m not one to write erotica, but some of my stories have a bit of cussing or a scene or two of sex.  This being the case, I was forced to step out and find another publisher.  At this point, the idea of self-publishing had never crossed my mind.  I won’t name the publisher because I never want to slam anyone, but I’ll leave it at saying that after being with Astraea Press who prides themselves on their editing and professionalism, I was greatly disappointed with the publisher I chose.

Luckily, we were able to part amicably, and I was allowed to move on.  I toyed with the idea of finding another publisher, because there are some wonderful ones out there, but after talking it over with some of my self-published friends, I decided to take the leap of faith.

There are so many ways to get your work out to the readers.  It’s extremely important that you find one that is most comfortable to you.  If you decide to get an agent and tackle the big six publishers, you will need to have patience, but you can’t beat the money they pay or the money they will put behind you to promote your book.  A good small house publisher will have your book edited, formatted and help with marketing.  If you self-pub, it will all fall back on you as the writer; however, you will have complete creative freedom.  There are plenty of people out there who know how to do all the things you will need to do, should you decide to self-publish.

For me, the self-publishing journey is just beginning.  I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes!  All my books can be purchased at Barnes & Noble and Amazon -  Be on the lookout for Magia Rising my first self-publish novel coming at the end of September.

As always Tammatha, thanks for having me!!


Cheers,


Monique O’Connor James
Monique O'Connor James
Author of:  "The Keepers" "Jamais Vu"  "Deja Vu"
"The Mulligan Man"  "The Watchers" all from Astraea Press.

Coming 2012:  "Becoming Jolie" “Magia Rising”


Twitter:               mjames13
Wordpress:         www.moniquejames.wordpress.com
Website:             www.moniqueoconnorjames.com
All books available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble!



No comments:

Post a Comment